May 22, 2022

Coming to Terms with Liberalism, Warts and All (Part II)

 As this is the SECOND in the series, if you haven't read the first you may read it here

Cracks in My Liberal Certainties

Rommel A. Curaming


In 2000, out of curiosity about life beyond the usual, I applied for and had the fortune of clinching the ASEAN Graduate Scholarship at the National University of Singapore (NUS) to pursue another Master’s degree, this time in Southeast Asian Studies. It was a spur of the moment decision upon seeing a newspaper advertisement one lazy Sunday afternoon. NUS then held a stature far from what it holds today. It was almost unheard of within Philippine academic community. It did not matter to me as I just felt I needed a new experience to reenergize myself. It turned out to be a major turning point not just for my intellectual pursuit but also for the life of my young family. It ushered us into two decades of itinerant life in the ‘diaspora’. I had no plan to stay long overseas, but one opportunity came after another and I just grabbed them as they came. I brought my young family wherever I went, so long as finances allowed it—Yogyakarta, Canberra, Manila, Melbourne, Singapore, Brunei. 

Studying overseas for the first time opened up possibilities that were hitherto unthinkable for me. My early exposure to Southeast Asian history at UP did not spark my interest, perhaps largely due to the dispiriting attitude of the professor who taught the subject. The history of Islam and the Middle East, as well as of East Asia fascinated me. When I decided to pursue graduate studies in Asian Studies, I opted to major in East Asia, specifically Japan. In hindsight, my interest in Europe, Middle East and East Asia—anything but the Philippines—reflected my attempts to escape from what seemed to me a depressing trajectory of Philippine history. That of Japan and the rising tiger economies of China, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore appeared in stark contrast: they offered narratives of triumph, overcoming the odds and attained stunning successes. Seeing for the first time how far the quality of life of ordinary Singaporeans and Malaysians compared to Filipinos, I was seduced to rethink the supposed inherent evils of authoritarianism that I came to learn as a UP student in the post-EDSA years. I particularly remember the first time I went to Malaysia, taking a bus from Singapore. Upon seeing the remarkable infrastructures, robust economy, clean, safe and well-appointed towns and cities, I felt deeply sad. I was struck by the thought that the Philippines could have been the same, if not ahead in comparison. I was long prepared for how impressive Singapore was, but I was jolted to my senses upon seeing how far Malaysia had gone. What went wrong in the Philippines, I wondered. I was deeply disturbed. As authoritarianism worked in Singapore and Malaysia, able to provide a better life for most of their citizens under Lee Kuan Yew and Mahathir, why it did not in the Philippines during the Marcos years? If indeed democracy was better, how come the post-Marcos years proved disappointing as well? Observing big but poor democracies such as India and Indonesia, I began to wonder if poverty and instability were a necessary price to pay for democracy.

 It was in NUS where my interest in Southeast Asia was nurtured. It was also there where I underwent a political re-awakening after being exposed to ideas that re-set the trajectory of my intellectual development. The module I took on Postcolonial Perspectives on Southeast Asia was an eye-opening experience. The ideas of Foucault, Said, Spivak, Chakrabarty, Bhabha, among others, that were critical of the Enlightenment Project and the European rationality that underpinned it affirmed, so it seemed to me, the validity of the alternative rationalities espoused by Asian philosophies like Taoism and Buddhism. These are philosophies which I had long been fascinated with, as enthusiast and a teacher of the history of Asian civilizations. I had begun to realize that they were not truly anti-rational or irrational, but they offered a different basis for rationality. Looking back, it was a major crack in my hitherto monolithic and monochromatic conception of humanity based on liberal tradition. I’ll come back to this point later, but for anyone interested in juicier details, I refer you to a reflective paper, "At Home in the World: Reflections on Home Scholarship, Theory and Area Studies",  which I wrote and published last year (downloadable here)

It was also in Singapore where I re-discovered that Philippine history and politics could be immensely exciting once viewed from the comparative standpoint of neighboring countries like Indonesia and Malaysia. Taking a country studies module on Indonesia, I saw striking parallels and contrast between its experience and those of the Philippines (more details on this are found in the piece I referred to earlier). My interest in Indonesia was boosted by the fellowship grant I received from the Ford Foundation to further learn Bahasa Indonesia while undertaking a research on Indonesian historiography soon after my stint at NUS.

Living in Indonesia for almost a year afforded me a chance to immerse in its culture and daily life. I was struck by how similar in many fundamental ways Filipinos and Indonesians were. The differences were also aplenty, but they clustered mainly around religious and nationalist orientations, as well as the deeply traumatic impact of the 1965-66 killings which had no parallel in the Philippines. Remove religion, nationalism and hysterical anti-communism out of the equation and one can see more clearly the basic and enduring similarities. The idea that foreign influences in the region were no more than a “thin glaze” at the surface, an idea that I had learned from Zeus Salazar and J.C. van Leur, among others, began to make sense to me.

Staying in Indonesia three or four years after the demise of the Suharto regime, I heard frequently to my great surprise ordinary Indonesians complaining how unsettled and tougher life had become. They longed for stability, cheaper goods, and security, the ‘good old days,’ of Suharto’s New Order. As an outsider fed mostly by the mainstream, liberal Western and Indonesian media with anti-authoritarian triumphalist narratives of democracy and Reformasi and which were suffused with a fierce anti-Suharto rhetoric, it made me wonder how things could be starkly different on the ground. I was hit by the realization that perhaps what was happening in Indonesia then had a parallel in the Philippines: sizable groups of Filipinos who persistently voted for the Marcoses and they regarded the Marcos years with what seemed to me as perverse nostalgia. How could they have thought of Martial Law years with longing, was beyond me! Since the late 1980s during my UP days, I was among those who quickly dismissed those groups as “Marcos loyalists”or “tuta ni Macoy.” These were labels that, in hindsight,  imputed questionable moral or intellectual attributes upon them—blindly loyal, manipulated, ignorant, uncritical, irrational. How stupid that they allowed themselves to be misled by Marcos propaganda, so I had thought. Looking back, what I observed in Indonesia made me think if there were material basis for the nostalgia of the Marcos era among Marcos supporters. It also reinforced my earlier questioning about liberal democracy wrought by my prior exposure to Singapore and Malaysia. 

In learning about Indonesia, I had found a psychological refuge, one that I could not in knowing more about Singapore and Malaysia. If Singapore’s and Malaysia’s impressive progress made me feel sorry and angry for the plight of Filipinos who, I had soon realized, were derided and bullied overseas, Indonesia’s miserable state in the early post-Suharto years provided a wicked but comforting assurance that Philippines was not alone. Misery loves company, as cliché goes. This feeling would not last very long, however, as by mid-late 2000s I had noticed that post-Suharto Indonesia’s political system seemed more capable of reforming itself than the post-Marcos Philippines. The gains of the Reformasi indeed fell short of the expectations, but they seemed more impactful and lasting than the post-EDSA reforms. The constitutional amendments that curtailed the power of the military, altered the electoral politics, strengthened anti-corruption body had far-reaching impact that Filipinos could only hope for in their country. The regimes of SBY and Jokowi succeeded to a significant extent in economic recovery and restored the sense of national pride in a period much shorter than it was the case for the Philippines. My familiarity with the challenges of democratic transition and consolidation in the Philippines served as a template for pondering the trajectory of Indonesia’s political and economic development in the past two decades. While foreign scholars of Indonesia and Indonesian scholars themselves habitually harped on the "failures" of the Habibie, Gus Dur, Megawati and SBY administrations, it seemed to me that the shortcomings of the post-Marcos regimes to provide a better life for Filipinos made those failures looked pale in comparison. 

-To be continued-

You may proceed to Part III  here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scalice's Drama of Dictatorship: A Must-Read for Anyone Interested in Philippine Politics and the Marcos Era (Part 1)

This is the first in the three-part series of my reflections on Joseph Scalice's controversial book, Drama of Dictatorship (Note: A shor...

Popular Post